Last year I tried collecting a California Juniper and failed at the post collection care part. This dig went much better. I was able to be better about the transferring to the pot without losing any additional soil.
This was a close up of the trunk of the tree I dug. For some reason I didn’t get a backed out shot of the whole thing, oh well
Here it is a bit more zoomed out. The best I got.
I took a trenching shovel to dig the initial trench instead of a drain spade. It had recently rained which helped, but using a thinner shovel really helped to get down quicker and find the thick roots that I needed to cut.
Here are some photos of the trenches I dug before widening the trench to get underneath the root ball. Here I began to wide the trench to be…
View original post 162 more words