This is my little shohin love. This is currently the only tree I have in refinement. Maybe that is why I like it so much, it looks the most like a tree. It needed a repot to change the soil and change the front of the tree. This is what we started with.
Once removed from the pot there were several large roots and a mass of roots going around the container on the bottom.
Even the large roots were circling around the pot.
I found a root on the backside of the tree that comes out underneath the soil line. Not sure what I want to do with it.
The larger root once I cut it off.
I had to remove a bit of the root mass to rotate the tree 90 degrees since it was facing the wrong way to begin with. Here is the tree positioned in…
View original post 372 more words
I found two of these Cotoneaster Apiculatis (Tom’s Thumb) for $3 each in the discount rack at Lowe’s. Couldn’t pass these up seeing that I don’t currently have this species of Cotoneaster, and they both had interesting enough trunk possibilities that it was well worth the $3.
As you can see there is a lot going on here. Branches everywhere and roots all over.
As I started through this I basically ended up cutting the rootball in half vertically. I separated a ground-layered section and then combed out the remaining roots for the main trunk.
This is the portion of the tree that had been naturally ground-layered. I was able to cut a majority of the root system off in hopes that this can become established in its new pot.
There was another large trunk that I to cut off due to it being too close to the…
View original post 114 more words
This is “Root Reject”s makeover. During the repot I’ll remove the root that sticks out a little too high for my liking. I also enjoyed doing this repot more than the others since this was filled mostly with bonsai soil.
You can see a huge mass of roots in the corner or lack thereof (It’s a circle pot…)
Backside view of the ugly root that is too high.
Ew! Make it go!!!
Root removed and roots combed out to my liking. I’ll be repotting in the same pot.
Better view of the removed root. You can see where the cut was made.
After the repot in a bowl soaking up some agua.
I’ve been wanting to work with some legitimate indoor bonsai species, and Jade is the #1 indoor bonsai choice and seems to be the exception to all the rules, so I figured why not. I found a planter at Lowe’s that was discounted for being there too long. It had several healthy Portulacaria Afra stems along with a few other succulents, so I went for it. This is also known as Elephant Bush, Dwarf Jade, or even Crassula Ovata Compacta. I’ll use them interchangeably so you can get used to it, or maybe so I can confuse you…
The planter had glued down rocks that make me angry. Angry + Lack of patience = Broken box. The dwarf jades made it out just fine don’t worry.
I made the mistake of not having an abundance of soil mixed and ready, tons of pots to choose from, and did it in…
View original post 175 more words