2015 Air Layers update

Scratch Bonsai

Well, mixed results for my first time air layering although I’m reasonably happy given that I tried this technique late in the season.

First up, a success of sorts.  I airlayered the top of this European Hornbeam back in the summer and discovered one prominent root, hopefully there are other new roots growing unseen in the moss.

DSC_0192DSC_0191DSC_0193

To protect any new root growth I cut a plastic pot and wrapped it around the trunk, filling it with free draining soil.  The pot is resting on a couple of well positioned branches so it is well supported.  I’ll wrap it in bubble wrap to protect from frost.

DSC_0194

Next up, a Trident Maple air layer that didn’t take at all:

DSC_0197DSC_0195

It was interesting to see the knuckle of callous that had developed at the planned based of the layer.  I had left a good five centimetres to try to prevent any ‘bridging’ of the…

View original post 125 more words

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.