Today I separated an air layer on cotoneaster, which I started last year.
I decided to air layer this tree because the lower trunk was quite straight and lacked taper and movement
Some of the new roots had grown down into the soil.
This how it looked after separation
In the next picture, the moss has been removed from the air layer and its ready for replanting. Hopefully the stump will sprout new shoots and I will have two trees to work on in the future.
Replanted in a bonsai pot and ready for the growing season. I will start feeding it in a few weeks time to promote new growth and I’ll probably remove the remaining thicker branches at the end of the season.
Unfortunately the larch which was started at the same time did not come through the winter, so I will have to try again with this…
View original post 7 more words