Time to undertake some major rootpruning on this Japanese Maple. The main consideration was pruning away an ugly raised surface root and also reducing the depth of the rootball so that the tree would sit better in the ceramic pot it was taken out of last year.
nebari from the front
ugly root from the side
back view of root to be removed
Other raised roots were removed two years ago because I felt there was a better nebari hiding underneath the soil level and so the job was finished today, along with shortening the long roots at the front.
Over time, I’ll work to reduce the spider leg appearance of the nebari but this can be masked by moss in the short term.
When combing out I discovered long circling roots within the rootmass, presumably from when the tree was rootbound in a much smaller pot in the past…
View original post 161 more words
My aged trunk of Amur maple put out a few new shoots last year but unfortunately none in the middle of the trunk. I’m hoping for more adventitious buds this year and a rootprune was overdue. As you can see from the moss on the lower trunk, it’s been a bit neglected otherwise.
First, I cleared the soil surface of moss and other debris and reminded myself of what there was to work with.
A comb out and trim of fine outer roots followed by thick rootage left me with the above image. A wide root base but the very thick root surface root on the left has always bothered me. Time to address it.
I discovered that the end of the root was dead and so cut it back a bit. I’ve read of splitting thick surface roots to improve nebari but this was too thick to…
View original post 47 more words