If you are planning a trip to the Drakensberg and looking to conquer any one of the magnificent hiking trails throughout this region – whether it is a day trip or an overnight cave hike, there are a few essential items and tips to remember…
Essentials to pack for a day hike
Whether it is summer or winter, the weather in the mountains is always a little unpredictable, therefore you need to properly prepare yourself:
- A rain coat with a warm / fleece lining.
- A sun hat and sunscreen.
- Trekking shoes with good ankle support and grip.
- Drinking water.
- Snacks such as dried fruit, nuts, chocolate, energy bars – light to carry and packed with energy.
- A bikini during the summer time as there are plenty of freshwater streams and pools to cool off in.
- An up-to-date map of the area / GPS and cellphone in case of emergencies.
View original post 206 more words