Recently I’ve been thinking a lot about flow, direction, the more artistic side of bonsai and how my trees measure up when evaluating them from a more artistic point of view. With a few of these concepts in mind, I decided to defoliate most of my shohin Fuji Cherry so that I could better see how the branch structure is developing.
This is the current front as the apex is coming forward, along with most of the foliage. After accidently breaking a branch last year, there was little left on the opposite side that has the better nebari. The next photo illustrates better:
I decided to remove most of the leaves from the older, thicker branches and especially those coming forwards. I want to promote more growth towards the back and I also want this year’s new shoots to thicken as quickly as…
View original post 133 more words